Translate

Friday, November 22, 2013

Socking It Up



Comfort fit at last! Stay put socks.



Look, they fit!! First go at a pair of  knitted socks...in a very, very long time ;)


So much going on these days, not all of it is something that I can share...you know life stuff that's best kept to oneself and so I've been 'socking it up' literally!

When I designed children's knitwear many, many moons ago, I use to make hand made socks using Kroy Sock yarn...or whatever yarn I came across that would knit up nicely and feel good on the feet. Well, my electronic knitting machine is in storage but the knitting needles came out.

My husband has Raynaud's disease and his hands and feet get so cold and turn a nasty white/blue. He is constantly on the look out for good socks or gloves/mitts that will keep his hands worm...thus the need for the knitting needles to come out.

A trip to our local Michael's store (not to mention a few other places hunting for yarn and a good pattern) I decided to try my hand at Lazy Weekend Socks, yarn weight 4.

I purchased the book 'Little gifts of comfort for the family? Best of Love of knitting book. It features 8 patterns for everyone in the family, Leisure Arts.

Yarn? Vanna's Choice, Lion Brand ~ 100% acrylic, Medium (#4) 4 inch x 4 inch on 5.5 mm 16s X 22 r

Purchased three balls of yarn, two in the main color of grey and 1 in the darker charcoal grey for the heels and toes.

Getting back to knitting on double pointed needles took a little practice at casting on properly and not getting it all twisted and no major loop holes...but after a few first, second and third tries it finally started to fall into place again. Soon I was knitting two, pear two and the top of the sock was done.

Looking good so far ~ a what kind of heel? Flap heel? HELP!! Read it, thought it made sense and started to make the flap heel. Well, thanks to youtube and a few searches I saw how they heel came together and managed to knit the heel...mmm, not bad.

The body of the sock was nothing to work at, just going around plain knitting on the underside of the foot and ribbing on the top part. Easy peasy.

Time for the toes! mmm, nope, no problem.

The sock was easy enough to make, yarn is feeling good and the fit is right on. My hubby loves his new socks, they fit his foot well, the leg does not fall down, heel and toes fit perfect...he wears a size 12 shoe and finds that most socks end up feeling tight and squishing his toes. I have the complete opposite problem, the heels usually end up over the back of my shoes and I wear a size 7 shoe! sometimes 6 1/2 if they are made wide at the toes....so guess what I made with the left over yarn? Yup, a pair of socks for myself...and they actually fit.

If you guessed I have another order for socks for the hubby, you guessed right ;) I've already picked up more of the same yarn, in navy and have started on the next pair for him.

I wanted to make some finer socks in the Kroy sock yarn, but at the price of yarn (yes, I'm uh frugal lol) I hunted online for a yarn outlet to see if I could pick up some Kroy sock yarn at a good price...and low and behold I am awaiting my first order from Yarn Factory Outlet. I managed to order 9 x 50 gr balls of Kroy Sock Yarn for $14.00 + shipping. I will let you know how that one goes...so I am very anxious to see the yarn.

I'm thinking I'll have to take out the knitting machine and get it up and running ~ not sure how the hands are going to do with all this knitting...shoulder and hands are kind of cranky these days...ya know, Arthur doesn't always allow us to play nice...but I'm socking it up anyway! I know, bad one..lol

This is the pattern that I made ~ not sure if I am suppose to be sharing it or not, but here it is for your own personal use.

Materials you will need.

# 4 Medium weight yarn

Size 4 (3.5mm) set of 4 Double Point Needles or 29" circular, or size required for gauge

Stitch Markers

Yarn needle

Skill level: Intermediate

Sizes: women's 9 1/2 ~ 12, Men's 8 1/2 ~ 11

Naturally, you can determine the length of the foot by adding or subtracting rows.

Gauge: 20 sts and 28 rows = 4 inch (10cm) in k2, p2 rib

Abbreviations: ssk: slip, slip, knit
                       magic loop can be googled or searched on youtube , there are several good sock tutorials on youtube ~ sometimes visual is much better than just reading ;) and pics.

Note: you can use either double point needles (dpns) or a long circular and the magic loop method.

Sock Leg:

With MC, cast on 48 sts divided equally on three needles or arrange as for magic loop. Place a marker and join, being careful not to twist the sts.

Work in k2, p2 rib for 8" or desired leg length. Knit first st of next round to center the rib on the instep.

Heel flap:
Change to cc and turn work.

row 1: wrong side facing, slip 1, purl across 23 sts.

row 2: * slip 1, k1; rep from * across.

Repeat rows 1 and 2 for a total of 24 rows.

Turn heel:

continue in cc.

row 1, right side facing: sl 1, k 13, ssk, k1, turn

row 2, sl 1, p5, p2tog, p1, turn.

row 3: sl 1, k6, ssk, k1, turn.

row 4: sl 1, p 7, p2tog, p1, turn.

row 5: sl 1, k8, ssk, k1, turn.

continue as set until all sts have been worked, ending with a wrong side row; 14 sts.

Guesset

Change to mc. With right side facing, knit across heel sts.

Pick up and knit 12 sts along side of heel flap, place marker, work in rib pat as set across 24 sts of instep sts., place a marker. Pick up 12 sts along heel flap; 62 sts in total. Knit 7 heel sts to get to new beg of round at center of heel.

round 1: knit to 3 sts before marker, k2tog, k1 work in a rib pat across instep, k1, ssk, knit to end of round.

round 2: Knit to marker, work in rib pat across instep, knit to end of round.

Repeat rounds 1 and 2 until 48 sts remain.

Foot:
Work even as set until foot measures 8 1/2 inches or 1 1/2 inches less than desired length.

Toe:
Change to cc.

round 1: * knit to 3 sts before marker, k2tog, k1, slip marker, k1, ssk; rep from * once more, knit to end.

round2: knit

Repeat rounds 1 and 2 until 16 sts remain. Graft toe using Kitchener st.

Finishing ~ weave in ends and Le Voila! you have a comfy sock!! made to fit your foot.

A little note: when making another pair of socks for myself with this yarn and pattern, I will be decreasing the number of stitches on all four needles as I find the sock a little loose on my foot. I shortened the sock to  5" from the ending of the cc of heel, I'm thinking perhaps making it 5 and a bit longer but not as many sts around so the fit would be a little tighter...first socks are the real testers aren't they?

Have you made socks and is there a pattern or yarn that you love best? Thin or thick yarn? Sock yarn or whatever you have on hand? Please drop a line and let me know, always interested in learning more ;)

Thank you for stopping by and I hope if you try out this pattern that you will let me know how it worked out for you, perhaps share a photo or two!

There would of been more photos but for some reason I'm having a problem locating and downloading my pics...so when I get that figured out, perhaps I can upload some more photos! but until then...

Thanks for dropping by, when life gets you down, sock it up!! lol

Have a good one;
D