Translate

Friday, June 7, 2013

Owl Party Favor Pillow Boxes


Who Will Be Five?

Miss Logan will soon be five! Oh My!!

Parliament of Owls all set to Party!
Mmm, Owl Party Favor Pillow Box, now that is a mouthful to say!! I did manage to find time to sit down and make up these party favor boxes and enjoyed playing with my Silhouette. Boy that thing cuts out nice.

I went online to the Silhouette shop and purchased the file, (for 99 cents) downloaded it, chose the cardstock and anything else that I planned on using for this project and started. 


First I played around with the sizing, so easy to do with the Silhouette. Found the right size and made a mock up to make sure if everything was the appropriate size ~ yup, it was a go.

Picking out different patterns, mix and match

I had my Cricut busy cutting out the circles for the eyes and the Silhouette did the rest. Soon I had a parliament of owls...yes, that is what you call a group of owls! Why? Because Owls are 'wise'? Mmm, interesting...

I used a wooden cuticle stick to round out the 'feathers' before you glue them to the body of the pillow box.
I also used a glue gun for some of the gluing and a glue runner for others. 

For the tree basket', I used a 12 x 12 inch sheet of wood grain, scored all four sides at 4 inches and fold each one. Then on two opposite sides, I made a cut into the first fold line and the second fold line, cutting to the first crease. Then you have three squares on two opposite sides....then you simply bring both 'end cuts' to wards center and staple. For the handle, I just cut diagonally across the center of a 12 x 12 sheet, then made another diagonal cut in the same width and glued it together, stapled it to the sides of my basket. Hope I did not confuse you here...google it and there are plenty of Youtube tutorials. Very easy basket to make.

The silhouette cut out my two pinwheels, I attached the gold brads, made a hole in the side of the basket and Le Voila! On top of the handle, again, my Silhouette cut out a paper bow and I just glued it on top of the handle as a little decoration...ooh, I am so loving this machine ;)

Each owl is a little different, I don't think there are two the exact same, close, but not exactly the same. Variety of life in a basket ;) 

What I can't get over, is how the larger size cutting mat and machine, can do so much more. It not only cuts, it perforates on the folding lines, so all you have to do is peel it off the mat, fold and glue. I mean, could it get any easier? I did not have to measure, cut, score and fold. These steps were already done for me. Since I had 16 or so to make, it certainly was much quicker for me, not to mention it cost me only $ .99 cents for the owl pillow box at Silhouette Cameo Shop, now that is reasonable for sure. I'm happy happy happy...

After making this project, I am sooo sold on the Silhouette Cameo. The perfect cuts, no fuss, no muss, just cut, glue and go. The software couldn't be any simpler ~ I mean, it's me we are talking about and in no time I got the hang of using it. Awesome, just totally awesome. Loving it.

I certainly hope you are finding more time than I for crafting, but with a Silhouette, it doesn't take as long to make something! What a bonus. Cameo Silhouette or Cricut? All I know, to be fair, I would have to try a Cricut Imagine, so it would be comparing apples with apples and not apples and oranges. Still have not tried the print and cut feature...perhaps SOME day I will find the time!! lol Retirement! Who knew ;)

Let me know what you think of this 'parliament of owls' in their new 'tree basket home'. Thanks for stopping by.
Owl be waiting to hear from you!
(couldn't resist)


Hugs XO

ps. have to laugh as I keep referring to myself as a new blogger, only to realize it's been a year! How fast time flies when you love what your doing...and yet, I still feel like I just started. Guess that's a good thing, right? lol
Is large text too large or just easier to read? Please let me know ~ if you don't mind ;) ~ Thanks