Translate

Friday, June 28, 2013

Nanny Donna MIA

Yes, it's true, Nanny Donna fell out of the crafting tree!! not by choice but rather a forced break...well, not exactly a break but more like the brain is willing, the body isn't? and lack of time is another factor.

For all you eager beaver crafters who have Osteoarthritis beware of what constant, repetitive work can do to your body, it can irritate the hell out of weakened or damaged cartilages not to mention swelling and pain. Not good.

This is nothing new to me, I should have realized way before any signs or symptoms started that repetitive motions over time wear out joints and can cause a list of problems...BUT naturally when you are playing in something that you totally enjoy, it kind of slips the mind.

When I was doing hairdressing, I ended up with my two wrist needing carpel tunnel surgery ~ not to mention the tole it took on my back, shoulders, hands and neck. I do know hereditary factors also plays a big role in a lot of it...not to mention several car accidents which did not help matters.

It is so important to take care of our self, we only have one body and so far no one has come up with a means of exchanging it for a newer, better model...heck, I'd of traded mine in long time ago if that was the case ;)

Making sure your working area is body friendly. Taking breaks to give your body a change in position, gentle stretching to alleviate your muscles and joints.

My crafting area is in our basement, which is finished, heated and we run a dehumidifier and most times our gas fireplace is on low to keep any dampness out...BUT it is a basement AND we do live in CANADA EH? and I'm a firm believer that basements are just that, basements. We are not meant to live underground!! lol

So many factors to take into consideration when we are working on something we get so involved with, spending numerous hours doing and the rewards are so great...as long as we do it in a healthy fashion.

When I think of it, I have spent sooooo many hours sewing, crocheting, needlepoint, scrapbooking, cardmaking, typing, hairdressing...no wonder the joints are hollering for a break! lol

Just a reminder to take care of your self, we take our health for granted when all is going well, but once the damage is done, sometimes it takes a long time to get things under control and there are times once the damage is in place ~ well, there is no going back. Changes and adapting new ways of getting things done will have to take place...again.

Physiotherapy, acupuncture, ultrasound therapy, splints, applying heat or cold, anti~inflammatory medication even to our diet can help alleviate pain, stiffness, swelling which come along with OA. I've been on Celebrex for years, but in a low dosage, unfortunately I cannot take an amount that would be more beneficial. For some reason I get an annoying cough and stomach problems from Celebrex, which then you end up on more medication! Kind of a vicious circle.

Oh well, that is life. I will return to crafting...just slower and easier than before. OA will not stop me, it may slow me down and as my little grandson says 'it's not the boss over me'! ;)

I'm still enjoying checking in on all your crafts and new projects and I'm hoping soon our weather will let up on the rain and dampness as it really doesn't help. Come on sunshine, do your thing!

I do hope all is well with one and all and keep in mind to take care of your body ~ we only get one so use it wisely!! ;)

Wishing you all a healthy, happy crafting day ;)