Translate

Friday, May 10, 2013

Card & Envelope Sizes

What Size of Cardstock Do I need??

What size of envelope??? 

Ever find yourself stuck, not knowing what size of cardstock you need to make a certain card? This was one of the first things I did when I started to make cards. So often I'd come downstairs thinking I was going to just sit down and create! Ha!! Silly Woman! With a non~stick brain, I need all the help I can get when it comes to remembering....I've said for a very long time that Migraines cause brain damage...and I'm not even joking here!!...again, that's another story, another day ;)

First of all, there are soooo many different styles of cards out there, and so many times it just boggles the mind...which one do I want to make?? O.k. so I finally decide on a style, what size of cardstock do I cut it out of? (ya, I know, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out, BUT, sometimes it's nice just to be able to just grab a 'template' and have all the information on it. I use mine all the time...that way, less chance of me cutting my good paper/cardstock and then realizing 'oops!' by then, it's usually too late.

Sooo, brainstorm! Light bulb moment...cut out the cards, write down on them what size of cardstock, the fold ( I use my Crafter's Companion Ultimate Tool (CCUT )...ya, love, love that one for making cards)...and it's all in a file folder all at my fingertips.

So, without further adooooo...here's a few of my card templates AND matching envelops:

Card Type                                   Cardstock Size                             Envelope Size       CCUT
Finished card size:                            Cut your cardstock:                    Cut your paper or cardstock:
                                                                                                                                           
Accordion ~ Concertina  
2 1/2 x 8 1/2 "                                    8 1/2 x 11"                             9 " square           B & H
score at:2 3/4 ~5 1/2 ~ 8 1/4 "   



Slimline~                                            5 1/2 x 8 1/2 "                         9" square             B & H
2 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches

Accordion ~ Concertina & Slim line

 
 Tri~Fold  
3 5/8" x 8 1/2"                                        8 1/2 x 11 "                              10" square         D & H
score & fold at 3 1/2" ~ 7 3/8"

Tri~Fold 

4 x 4 1/4" card                                   8 1/2 x 4"                                6 3/4 " square       C & D
Fold in half
4 1/4 x 5 1/2 " & 
 I like this size for Thank You cards ~ Invitations...
4 1/4 x 5 1/2 "                                   half of 8 1/2 x 11                  8 1/4 " square        D & F
Fold in half

Gatefold
4 1/4 x 5 1/2  "                                  half of 8 1/2 x 11                    8 1/2"                    D & F
score at 2 1/8", 6 3/8"
Gatefold 4 1/2 x 5 1/2 "


5 x 7"                                               10 x 7"                                      10 1/2" square        F & H


4 1/2 x 7"                                          7 x 9"                                        10 1/2" square       F & H
A7 ~ 4 1/2 x 7"












Pop~Up Card
5 1/2 x 8 1/2"                                   Two ~8 1/2 x 11"                   11 1/4" square        F & H
one acordion  fold                                  
score at :2 3/4, 5 1/2, 8 1/4" 
Closed Pop Up Card, finished measurements 5  1/2  x 8 1/2"

Gatefold
5 x 8 1/2"                                             8 1/2 x 11"                        11 1/4" square          F & H
Score at: 3, 8 "
Gatefold 5 x 8  1/2" finished size

Easel Card
 5 1/2 x 4 1/4"                                  #1~  5 1/2" x 8 1/2               8 5/8 " square         D & F
                                                         #2~ 5 1/2 x 4 1/4"
                                                           #3~ 5 1/2 x 1 1/2"
Score #one at 2 & 4 1/4 "
Easel Card

Side Step Card
5 1/2 x 4 1/2"                                        5 1/2 x 8 1/2 "                     8 5/8" square          D & F
Side Step Card

Tri~Shutter Card                                    
 x 5 1/2"                                               5 1/2 x 12"                          8 5/8" square             D & F
closed tri~shutter card


These are the measurements for cards and their matching envelopes that I use the most. They give me a good idea of what embellishments will look like on my finished card...just my way of making things easier for myself...cut the card, write the information on it (score lines, folds, cuts), pair it up with it's proper envelope and you have an easy system at hand.

Now after cutting out several different sizes of 'faux Nesties' I can mix and match with my cards before I do any cutting...some people like paper and pen to sketch, I like the actual card in my hands!

Here is a helpful page for different sizes & types of cards, Paper Source Stationery Components Size Guide

Thank you for stopping by and I hope these measurements help ease you into card making ;)

Hugs;
      from Nanny Donna's Corner

ps here is a