Translate

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Simply Elegant Sympathy Card

 There are joyous celebrations in life and there's the celebration of one's life...

For this card, I found the poem by Ellen Brenneman "His Journey's Just Begun" and went from there.

I wanted something elegant, simple and clean lines and I came up with this.





Materials and scrapbooking 'toys' that I used:

Cricut Story Book Cartridge
Sizzix Texture Boutique and two different embossing folders
(small dot one and a leafy one - sorry don't know the names)
Crafter's Companion Envelope Maker
Black cardstock, white cardstock
English Moss by Colorbock 12  x  12 overlay and paper pad
2 white eyelets to attach overlay onto face of card
White ribbon (Walmart)
Double sided dimension sticker
Sympathy Stamp ( from a stamp kit from Costco...purchased ages ago)
Black Ink 
Glue runner
Corner rounder punch

How To's:

This card is 4  1/2  x 7 inches so you will need to cut your white cardstock 7 x 9 inches. Fold in half.

Place overlay onto your base to find the right 'fit' and then cut at 4  1/2 x 7 inches.

Round corners on both card and overlay.

Using my Cricut Story Book cartridge, I cut out two  3  1/2 inch scalloped edge ovals in black and one 4" scalloped edge oval for the envelope. 

Using the same cartridge and black cardstock, cut out the 5 fancy corner butterflies  1  1/4 inches, and one larger black butterfly at 2 inches.

From the white cardstock, cut out two  2  1/2 inch scalloped edge ovals, and one 3  1/2 inches.

Stamp sentiment onto white scalloped edge ovals and add butterfly for the front of your card.

I chose two different embossing folders (not sure of the names, my bad). Emboss both black and white scalloped edge ovals. 

For the front of the card, I used double sided dimension stickers between the white and black scalloped edge ovals to make it pop out a little. 

Making sure that the stamped edge of the overlay did not hide any part of the sentiment, allowing it to stand out, glue the layered scalloped edge ovals. Add the larger butterfly to the right bottom corner of the card. 

To attach the stamped overlay, I used two white eyelets, one at the top and bottom...so far so good! Front of card is done...yay!

Add your sentiment and personal touch to the inside of the card.

 I printed the poem 'His Journey's Just Begun' by Ellen Brenneman on the right hand side of the card, then printed another Sympathy saying onto a separate piece of paper.

Centered it over my larger scalloped edge oval and glued it in place.

 Flipped it with the back facing me and cut out the scalloped edge with an exacto knife. 

Embossed both the larger black scalloped edge oval and smaller white one. Glued them onto the inside right hand side of my card. Rounded the corners of the inside sentiment page to match my card...glue into place...add ribbon...don't forget to add your own little stamp of homemade on the back of your card!! ;) 

Envelope

I love, love, love my Crafter's Companion. It plays nicely with my other 'toys' ;) and makes card making a breeze! not to mention envelopes. Wow! (but that's another blog, another day)

I made the envelope a little larger than the card so that it fits nicely and won't be all squished. The nice thing with Crafter's Companion Envelope Maker, you can make envelopes that allow for embellishments....o.k., so I made my envelope out of white cardstock cut at 10  1/2  x 10  1/2 inches.

Using the score lines  Crafter's Companion Envelope Maker F & H, scoring twice for an envelope with depth...kind of like an envelope box ;)   Boy do I need to learn the right terms here...sure as heck hope everyone gets the drift of what I'm talking about!

Stamp, emboss and add butterfly to your scalloped edge ovals and glue to front of your envelope. Add a butterfly to the back flap of your envelope, and Tout fini!

Le Voila, a simply elegant Sympathy card.



Nanny Donna, wishing you a scrap-happy day ;)

P.S. Want to Thank Christina at Card-Making-Magic for posting this card on her website. http://www.card-making-magic.com/  Love her card making ideas and projects ;)